And the Oscar goes to……Wolfgang Puck!

By  |  16 Comments

It’s a gargantuan night for Tinseltown’s elite. Glamorous stars will be stepping out of their limos on to the Red Carpet to attend the 84th Academy Awards Governors Ball at the Kodak Theatre, Sunday February 26th, 2012.  Celebs will be dressed to the nines in designer gowns and tuxedos with one thing on their minds…Awards!  Not the kind they hold in their hand but the ones that make everyone feel like a winner once it melts in their mouths. That’s right, those tasty little Gold Dusted Bittersweet Chocolate Oscars.  Thanks to the genius creation of Wolfang Puck and his peeps.  After weeks of emails, calls and hang-ups, I finally spoke to a gal named Rachel who sent the official invite to meet the one and only Wolfie.  You rock Rachel!  Did you know the name Wolfgang means “traveling wolf”? Well, this traveling sleuth went to Hollywood to get you up close and personal. The ballroom was packed with reporters from around the world, clicking cameras creating an electric atmosphere.  Damn, just one small problem, Videographer was no where to be found.  With Food Stalker ingenuity I quickly recruited two idle camera men, Peter & Favian, who joined my photographer Dutch – my team was complete. Move over E Channel!  Using my East coast elbows I pushed my way through to see this genius at work.

A radical shift from tradition, this years menu featuring more than fifty dishes, is intended to have a more casual feel.  Instead of tables with place settings, servers will pass trays with small plates and one-bite hors d’oeuvres throughout the evening.  Signature favorites such as smoked Salmon on Oscar with caviar, Mini Kobe burgers, Braised Short Ribs, Chinous Lamb and Chicken Pot-Pie with Shaved Black Truffles (Barbara Streisand’s personal fav) will be served.  Surprise sweets pay homage to the future of Oscar in 3D.  Not only incredible but edible – even the twinkling light inside. These bad boys are enough to melt your molars. Moet & Chandon revealed a smashing champagne cocktail, which after a few, I was ready to dance on the table with Jeffrey Kurland, chair of the Governors Ball and Designer of the attire to be worn by the staff. Those glasses of bubbly were pretty enough to be displayed in the window at Barneys!  It’s a tough job, but someone’s got to do it, right? So who will the big winners be?  Everyone attending the Governors Ball who experiences this culinary wizardry.  As for me, I’ll be opening up a magnum of champagne ready to critique the fashion statements of the evening…well, if I’m not there in person…..Hey Joan, I heard you need an assistant!

16 Comments

1. Annie Speck

February 18, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Sandie ~ Your best STALK yet!! Fabulous coverage of your glamorous self ~ while highlighting some of the most amazing food I have seen in a long time!! Bravo my dear! xxoo

2. Sandie Ward

February 18, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Annie, It was over the topic every way..words cannot express! I was totally in my element and loved meeting “Wolflie” and his team. Your positive comments filled with support always make my day…thanks and let’s get together soon.

3. joe

February 18, 2012 at 8:18 pm

A breakthrough post which transported me to the world of The Food Stalker. It shows both your tenacity and skill to “get the story”. Are you kidding me? Getting an invite out of nowhere, finding 2 video men at the last minute………who does that? One last question, how much will the dress cost ???????

4. Holly Valdez

February 19, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Well done, Sandie!
    Beautiful photographs and coverage of
    The preparations and event! What a great
    Time!

5. Victoria

February 20, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Sandie, Fabulous “stalk”! We could have used a few of those goodies at the Lawn Bowling party. Hat’s off to you getting the word out to everyone in Laguna Beach. You are sensational!

6. Sandie Ward

February 20, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Sweet Holly, only thing missing was you on a stage singing girlfriend! Victoria, we will have to re-create some of the items for a dinner party with Fashion Diva- Stylist “Sabina”. She is a stylist to the stars AND The Food Stalker! Lucky me!

7. Annie Speck

February 26, 2012 at 12:07 am

Love the video!! That food looked so amazing!!! okay ~ I have to go up to the kitchen now and try to make one of those little chicken pot pies!!!! xo

8. meme Rehrer

February 26, 2012 at 5:24 pm

This is what I am talking about, Exclusive, Now, have not seen anything like this on the east coast.

9. Sandie Wards

February 26, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Victoria, next time we’ll wear “gowns” for lawnbowling! Holly, thanks for the comment! Annie, hope you tried the chicken pot pie with truffles…hmmmmm. Meme, I always have the “East Coast Girl” in me no matter where I go! Today is Oscar Day!!

10. Debra Oakland

February 26, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Sandie, your food stalking capabilities are expanding into heavenly horizons…I have so enjoyed watching your journey of “The Food Stalker.” Rock on…..WOOT WOOT!

11. lollyvb

February 27, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Sandie what an amazing meeting with Wolfgang, I am a huge fan of his and of course as you know of you! Looking forward to seeing you in person to get all the juicy details…Lolly x

12. sara

February 28, 2012 at 12:09 am

WOW next time if you can’t take me as an assistant please pack a very large bag and sweep the tables!!!

13. Sandie Ward

February 28, 2012 at 1:08 am

Lolly…time to get down to business in La Dahlink!
    Sweet Sara….You and I together doing anything is a blast! Can’t wait to share all the stories with you in person and thanks for being my number one cheerleader! JPG exhibit in San Fran..hmmm..

14. Victoria

February 28, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Fabulous Sandie, I loved the video! Oscar night was certainlny enhanced for me with your preview of all the food delights. You are truly the best “Food Stalker”! I made a lamb stew for Oscar night. Can’t wait for your next event. I don’t know about “gowns” for lawn bowling, but I do see ball gowns in our future.

15. Janna MacDowall

March 1, 2012 at 5:31 pm

OMG that was amazing… My mouth is watering, wanting to have a bite of each one of those yummy small plates.. Is it to late to become an actress, so I could get an invite? Or maybe they should give you the Oscar darling? Good JOB!

16. Sandie Ward

March 1, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Victoria, Lamb Stew…oh, must get recipe. Janna Banana, only thing missing was you as I know how much you love sweets….Should have nabbed you a little chocolate Oscar but not sure it would have made it home…:)

With an Italian background, she cites her Mother and grandmother ( Mamie ) as the major influence of her love for food.  Yes, homemade pasta hung from the clothesline in the kitchen and rolling 100 meat balls for a holiday dinner was the norm.  Raised in Pennsylvania. she spent time in Atlanta, Georgia and ultimately settled along the stunning coast of Laguna Beach, Ca. Self taught in everything, she learned to appreciate the amazing flavors, scents and uses for exotic herbs and spices and applies her knowledge to cooking today. Despite enjoying other creative endeavors like painting, photography and clothing design, she realized she would never love another career the way she loves all the stories surrounding food.  And it's capturing those stories that has not only become her greatest passion but a culinary drug worth passing around!  After all, food is a shared experience and no one better to share it with than the entire world. And thus the Food Stalker was born, utilizing all that passion and her fearlessness to capture even the most impossible stories. It's one thing to write about food, but far more exciting to actually capture it and all those stories that make every scent come to life.  And once she sets out, there's no stopping her, because no one follows that scent better than her---and no telling where she'll end up next.

%d bloggers like this: